ORIGINAL RECIPE FOUND HERE
Cake: 9 tbsp unsalted butter softened 3 cups granulated sugar 1 cup avocado oil 4 tsp vanilla extract 2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 2 cups bread flour 4 ½ tsp baking powder 1 ½ tsp salt 1 ½ cup milk 9 egg whites at room temperature ½ cup sprinkles – I try to find ones that are naturally colored, like THESE
Buttercream frosting: 1 lb unsalted butter ½ tsp salt 6 cups powdered sugar 6 tbsp heavy cream 2 tsp vanilla extract
STEPS: 1. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 2 8-inch round cake pans by generously greasing with butter. (We used cupcake trays instead of a cake) Then cut rounds of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of each. Use to line the bottom of each pan, then flip the paper and rub to line each again so both side of the parchment are greased – this makes for extra easy removal from the pan after cooking.
2. Using a hand mixer fitted with paddle attachments, beat butter on medium-low speed until creamy. Add sugar and avocado oil and beat until all ingredients are well-combined, fluffy and creamy, about 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract and beat another 15 seconds to incorporate.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
4. With mixer on medium speed, alternate adding the dry mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, one third at a time. Stir until each addition is almost completely incorporated before adding the next round.
5. In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer with the whisk attachment on high-speed to combine your egg whites. Beat until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Using a spatula, gently fold your egg whites into your cake mix to preserve as much air and lift as possible. Scrape the sides of the bowl and cut down the middle to evenly distribute.
6. Add sprinkles and gently stir until just distributed.
7. Evenly divide cake batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean. For best results, rotate your cake pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Cakes will be a light golden brown and springy to the touch.
8. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out of pans and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
9. Meanwhile, make buttercream frosting. With a mixer or hand mixer fitted with paddle attachments, whip softened butter on medium speed until creamy. Add salt and beat again for about 20 seconds. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, thoroughly incorporating each cup before adding the next.
10. Add in heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time and whip for 20-30 seconds between each addition. Add vanilla extract and stir on medium-high for 30 seconds.
11. Frost you cake or cupcakes in anyway you like! Top with sprinkles and enjoy!